Friday, November 2, 2012

The Willis Tower, Millenium Park and Navy Pier

On Tuesday, Lane, the kids and I headed back into the city to do some more site seeing.  Our first stop was the Willis Tower (FKA the Sears Tower).  This was Lane and Jacob's first time to the tower.  After Justin and Laura's wedding 2 years ago I promised Jacob we'd go up the Willis Tower the next time we were in Chicago.  He was excited.  MaKena, on the other hand, didn't really seem to know or care that we were going up 100+ floors.  While we waited in line they had several interesting facts about the tower.  The kids had fun pushing buttons and looking at all the fun facts.  Once we got to the top we walked around looking out all the windows.  The kids looked through several view finders.  Then we made our way to the glass ledges.  This being my 3rd time up the tower, the glass ledgers weren't as scary for me.  For those of you who know me I'm terrified of heights......I think I get that from my dad!  MaKena and I walked out on the ledge first and then Jacob attempted to walk out.  As you can see from the picture below he didn't last very long!  Lane walked out on the ledge with MaKena, no problems.  When I went on the ledge I didn't look down, I couldn't!  Once we did the ledge we headed down the tower and found some lunch. 

After lunch we walked to Millennium Park with the kids so they could play in the water again. This time I came prepared and grabbed the kids suits and towels.  It was another hot day in the city so it felt nice to cool off in the water even if it was only a couple inches of water.  We let the kids play for awhile and then we walked to Navy Pier.  Once we got to Navy Pier we walked all the way to the end and then headed back stopping in a few shops.  By this time of the day we were getting tired.  I calculated it and we ended up walking over 2 miles.  We gladly hopped on a bus to get back to the train station! All and all we had a fun day in the city.  


Jacob and MaKena standing on one of the many screens in the Willis Tower.  How it worked was you'd stand on the screen and you were at ground level then you'd push the button and it  brought you up so many floors and you could see the buildings getting smaller and smaller.  It was neat.

Some fun facts about how may Michael Jordan's the Willis Tower is.  I'm not sure if you can read it but it says 262 Michael Jordans Tall.
MaKena and Jacob

MaKena looking out the window.  Its a long way down!
Jacob, me and MaKena
Jacob, Lane and MaKena
Jacob, me and MaKena on the ledge.  Look how Jacob is hanging on the wall.  He didn't last long on the ledge.  It was funny!
Me and MaKena on the ledge.
Lane and MaKena on the ledge.
A nice couple behind us in line offered to take a family picture.  Jacob is barely able to handle being on the ledge with us.  It took some convincing to get him back out there!
Looking out the window.
When we got off the elevator we had to walk through a gift shop before we could get out of the Willis Tower.  We let the kids look around and we ended up finding these cute sunglasses.  I wish I would have bought them for the kids.  They looks so cute!
Playing in the water at Millennium Park.

Too cute!
Navy Pier
The kids with part of the city behind them.
Hanging out at the end of Navy Pier.  This anchor was huge!

On the train heading back to Justin and Laura's.

No comments: